Dot Maver, Executive Director of The Peace Alliance, is the visiting guest.
Discussion will focus on issues relating to legislation currently pending in Congress. The bill proposes the following:
- A Secretary of Peace, who will advise the president on peacebuilding needs, strategies, and tactics for use domestically and internationally.
- The creation of a Peace Academy, a sister organization to our military service academies, which will build a world-class faculty of peacebuilding experts. They will analyze peacebuilding strategies at the highest level, advise other branches of government, and facilitate the training of peacebuilders for domestic and international service.
- Funding to create and expand proven domestic peacebuilding programs in our communities, such as mediation trainings for police, firefighters, and other emergency services personnel; alternative dispute resolution techniques, peer mediation and nonviolent communication programs in public schools, etc.
- Providing ways to meaningfully prevent conditions of conflict before violence erupts.
- The institutional platform necessary to successfully apply American genius to dramatically alleviate our national and global epidemic of violence.
The House bill currently has 68 co-sponsors (including Presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich). None are from Kentucky.
Celebrity support comes from Walter Cronkite -- as well as Paula Abdul...and Flea.
Visit this blog's homepage.