Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"May I speak?"

Today, I attended a campus screening of the documentary, "¿Puedo Hablar? / May I Speak?," which is about the 2006 reelection campaign of Hugo Chávez. It was very well done and worth a viewing if you get a chance. Here's a clip.

Young filmmaker Chris Moore was in the audience for a post-film Q&A. Some colleagues and I had lunch with him, so I had an opportunity to speak to him then.

I think the most interesting aspect of the documentary was the obvious parallel between the discourse of Chávez and the "war on terror" discourse of George W. Bush. Both demonize political enemies and play up real or imagined foreign threats. Compare "Against Chávez, Against the People" says Chávez; "you are with us, or you are with the terrorists" says Bush.


Visit this blog's homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment