Search This Blog

Saturday, January 01, 2011

Movies of 2010


As I frequently note, I watch a lot of movies, though most are viewed on DVDs (or from DVR recordings) on my television. Because I do not see many new films in the theater, I cannot at year's end write a credible post on the best movies of 2010.

Indeed, many of the best films I saw this past year were older films on DVD/DVR that I originally missed in the theaters -- or were 2009 films I saw in the theaters during early 2010.

To make this abbreviated 2010 list, I scanned the top 150 grossing movies of the year, as well as IMDB's most popular titles for 2010. In rank order of my preference, these were the only 2010 films I saw this year, so far as I can tell:

The Social Network **
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech **
Winter's Bone **
Toy Story 3 **
Inception **
Easy A
True Grit **
Cyrus **
Red Riding 1980
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish)
Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows (part 1) **
Red Riding 1983
Red Riding 1974
Hot Tub Time Machine
She's Out of My League

** I saw these films in the theater.

Note: The "Red Riding" and "Dragon Tattoo" films were released in a prior year, but were not available in the US until 2010.

And here's the annual list of movies I intend to see in the future (hopefully in 2011): 127 Hours, The American, Animal Kingdom, Another Year, Black Swan, Blue Valentine, The Book of Eli, Buried, Carlos, Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer, The Company Men, Despicable Me, Exit Through the Gift Shop, Fair Game, The Fighter, Four Lions, Get Him to the Greek, The Ghost Writer, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Green Zone, Greenberg, Hereafter, I Love You Phillip Morris, Inside Job, It's Kind of a Funny Story, Joan Rivers: A Piece Of Work, Kick-Ass, Let Me In, Machete, Megamind, The Other Guys, Please Give, A Prophet, Rabbit Hole, Red, Restrepo, Salt, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Secretariat, Shutter Island, Somewhere, Tiny Furniture, The Town, Unstoppable, Unthinkable, and White Material.

Metacritic helped me form that list.

Keep in mind that I didn't get around to seeing many 2009 movies from last year's wishlist: Amreeka, The Baader Meinhof Complex, Broken Embraces, Bronson, Brothers, BrĂ¼no, Cloud 9, The Cove, Crossing Over, The Damned United, An Education, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Funny People, Humpday, The Maid, Paranormal Activity, Precious, The Road, A Single Man, Skin, State of Play, Taking Woodstock, The Evening Sun, Whatever Works, Whip It, and White Collar.

Two of those are on my DVR right now -- and the University library owns copies of several others.

Visit this blog's homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment