Search This Blog

Friday, April 11, 2008

Baseball 2008: Bolts from the Blue

Last weekend, I participated in my 20th Hardy House fantasy baseball league auction (draft). We have 12 teams and use American League players exclusively. One new roster quirk this year: we added a 10th pitcher and subtracted an outfielder. We thought this better reflected a change that real baseball teams have been making over the past 20 years.

The 2008 Bolts from the Blue (8 retained players in blue)

C Kevin Cash (BOS) $1
C Kelly Shoppach (CLE) $3
1B Nick Swisher (CHX) $22
2B Alexei Ramirez (CHX) $10
3B Wilson Betemit (NYY) $4
SS Derek Jeter (NYY) $30
MI Ben Zobrist (TB)$1
CR Ben Broussard (TEX) $5
OF Alex Rios (TOR) $28
OF Melky Cabrera (NYY) $11
OF Jason Kubel (MIN) $15
OF Grady Sizemore (CLE) $35
DH Billy Butler (KC) $22
Hitting $187

P Roy Halladay (TOR) $24
P Jeremy Bonderman (DET) $16
P Zach Greinke (KC) $7
P James Shields (TB) $6
P Dana Eveland (OAK) $3
P Jeremy Accardo (TOR) $3
P Joaquin Benoit (TEX) $3
P Manny Delcarmen (BOS) $3
P Chad Bradford (BAL) $2
P Brandon League (TOR) $1
Pitching $68

I left $5 on the table, unfortunately. I desperately tried to spend it, but other owners had even more money left to buy the few guys in the end-game that I wanted (namely C Jeff Mathis $3, IF Donnie Murphy $4, P Dan Wheeler $6, and P Joel Zumaya $7, named in that order and reflecting my increased willingness to burn my cash).

Reserve picks
1. OF Rocco Baldelli (TB) $3
2. UT Ryan Raburn (DET) $2
3. P Sean Green (SEA) $1

I'm really hoping Alexei Ramirez plays, because he can apparently hit and run.

As a Royals fan, I'm also pretty excited about Billy Butler and the rejuvenated career of Zack Greinke.

I didn't learn about the seriousness of Baldelli's injuries until another owner told me after I picked him. Ugh.


Visit this blog's homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment