Search This Blog

Sunday, February 09, 2020

2020 Oscars


As per usual, my spouse and I have tried to watch as many Oscar contenders as we could prior to the big event. This task was made especially difficult by the fact that the show has moved forward over the years. The 2018 show was held during the first week of March and it has typically occurred in late February in recent years. Oh well.

I've read a bit about the favorites (and checked with the oddsmakers), but the lists below reflect my personal rankings -- and I'm only going to rate the films and performances I've seen. These are NOT my predictions. And yes, this is a completely subjective and poor way to think about art.

Later, I'll move up films and performances as I see them, but I'll highlight those additions in yellow.
For now, the films and performances that I have not seen are listed below those I have watched, separated by a blank line. Prior to the awards show, I saw 5 of the Best Picture nominees.

BEST PICTURE

"Parasite"
"Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood"
"1917"
"Little Women"
"Marriage Story"
"The Irishman"
"Jojo Rabbit"
"Ford v Ferrari"
"Joker"


This is not the best Quinton Tarantino film, but it is very well crafted and I like the way it captured the era leading up to the Manson murders. I probably would have liked The Irishman more if it had been cut by 15 to 30 minutes. It was simply overlong. Little Women was excellent, and Marriage Story was very powerful. Joker really doesn't belong in this elite group. Knives Out! or Transit would have been better selections (based on the films I saw).

I know I need to see Parasite and 1917. They're on the list.

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Joaquin Phoenix, "Joker"
Adam Driver, "Marriage Story"
Leonardo DiCaprio, "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood"

Antonio Banderas, "Pain and Glory"
Jonathan Pryce, "The Two Popes"

Though Joker was not one of the year's 10 best films, Joaquin Phoenix certainly gave a terrific performance. Adam Driver was also excellent.

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Renée Zellweger, "Judy"
Saoirse Ronan, "Little Women"
Scarlett Johansson, "Marriage Story"
Charlize Theron, "Bombshell"

Cynthia Erivo, "Harriet"

Judy, Judy, Judy.

Update: Finally saw Theron's performance as Megyn Kelly and I must say that it is a remarkable imitation. I'd say they could be twins, but the internet says Theron has inches of height on Kelly.

DIRECTOR

Quentin Tarantino, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"
Bong Joon-ho, "Parasite"
Sam Mendes, "1917"
 Martin Scorsese, "The Irishman"
Todd Phillips, "Joker"

I have a difficult time separating this award from Best Picture. Where is Greta Gerwig?

Update: It's early May 2020 and I've finally seen Parasite. I like it's story a good deal, but I think the world Tarantino created in his film is richer and more interesting. At least to me. So I am separating Best Picture and Best Director!

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Laura Dern, "Marriage Story"
Florence Pugh, "Little Women"
Scarlett Johansson, "Jojo Rabbit"
Margot Robbie, "Bombshell"
Kathy Bates, "Richard Jewell"

Dern benefited from a great role, but she also delivered a great performance. 

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Brad Pitt, "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood"
Tom Hanks, "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood"
Joe Pesci, "The Irishman"
Al Pacino, "The Irishman"

Anthony Hopkins, "The Two Popes"

I know Tarantino is a fan of Steve McQueen and I felt like Pitt was channeling him. Hanks did a really fine Mr. Rogers imitation.

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

South Korea, "Parasite"
North Macedonia, "Honeyland"

Spain, "Pain and Glory"
France, "Les Misérables"
Poland, "Corpus Christi"

Sadly, [as of Oscar night] I have not seen any of these.

Update: Paradise is genuinely great and Honeyland is also very, very good. Also, where's Portrait of a Lady on Fire?

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

"Honeyland"
"American Factory"

"The Edge of Democracy"
"For Sama"
"The Cave"

Yes, I am behind. 


Visit this blog's homepage.

For 280 character IR and foreign policy talk, follow me on twitter.

Or for basketball, baseball, movies or other stuff, follow this personal twitter account.

No comments:

Post a Comment