Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Cohen and Deng

I'm on the road, back home in Louisville for a few days, participating in the annual Grawemeyer Award festivities.

Today, I hosted a talk by Roberta Cohen and Francis Deng, who talked about their prize-winning ideas for improving world order. Specifically, their work for the past decade or so has centered on what to do about the 20 plus million internally displaced peoples, located in 40 or 50 states.

The talk was fantastic. We had a nice turnout for the event and the audience asked good questions. Deng described his work in the UN building an argument about "sovereign responsibility." Legitimate states have to serve the basic needs of their populations. Cohen talked about the Guiding Principles that are becoming a norm in this issue area.

I didn't bring my laptop, so I'm not sure how much blogging you'll find in this space until the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment