Search This Blog

Saturday, July 26, 2008

"The Year of Living Dangerously"

Somehow, before today, I'd never seen "The Year of Living Dangerously" (1982). Back in those days, I didn't see that many movies. College debate was the center of my life and I didn't even own a TV.

In any event, the film stars Sigourney Weaver, who was between Alien(s) movies (this is pre-"Ghostbusters"), Mel Gibson, who had already made a second Mad Max film (and appeared in "Gallipoli"), and Linda Hunt, who was terrific (Oscar winner for Supporting Actress).

If you haven't seen the movie, it's set in 1965 in Indonesia. Gibson and Weaver figure into a love story complicated by the setting -- communists attempt a coup against President Sukarno, but are put down by General Suharto's brutal military.

Throughout the movie, I kept thinking of two other films my summer class viewed recently: "Casablanca" and "The Quiet American." I think it would have made a nice companion to those movies.

If you want to know more about Indonesia, may I suggest heading to South End Press for a book? Apparently, the progressive press is in trouble and could use your support.


Visit this blog's homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment