Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

SABR

I was out of town for several days last week attending the annual national conference for the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR). I went to a number of interesting panels -- one of the best was by Dave Smith of Retrosheet -- and the ballgame on Friday night. It was my first visit to the new Busch stadium.

Though you might not have predicted it based upon my scholarly writing, I hung around with members of the Statistical Analysis crowd and mostly attended their panels and looked at their posters. Many in that group are academics -- like David Kaplan of Wisconsin -- but many others are not. I also attended a number of other scientific panels.

The most entertaining and enlightening talk was delivered by Dr. Mike Marshall, a former Cy Young winning pitcher who has very strong theories about how to prevent pitching injuries. He wants to completely revamp pitching motions.

Aaron Gleeman's more colorful recap of the convention is here (including a picture of my friend Neal Traven. I don't know Gleeman, but many of his friends are prominent SABR-types and I saw many of the people included in his photos.


Note: My apologies to Paul for visiting St. Louis and not giving an advance heads-up.


Visit this blog's homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment